- KITTY HAWK CV -63 The "Battle Cat" is forward deployed and returned to its homeport, Sasabo, Japan, in early Dec'03. Jan. she passed quals with outstanding.
April'04 tour east. July sails. Sept returned.
CV- 63 Kittyhawk
CG -62 Chancellorsville
CG -63 Cowpens - Yokosuka, Japan
CG -49 Vincennes (DS-15)
DDG-54 Curtis Wilbur
DDG-56 John S. McCain
DDG-62 Fitzgerald arrived Fall'04
DD-975 O'Brien decomm
- ENTERPRISE CVN-65 Deployed Oct '03 to Arabian Sea flying
combat missions. Returned 29Feb04. NATO exercises June'04. Return July 20. Extended maint 10Sept04-Sum'05
USS ENTERPRISE (CVN 65)
Cape St. George (CG-71)
last deployment was with : Carrier Air Wing One
USS GETTYSBURG (CG 64)
USS PHILIPPINE SEA (CG 58)
USS GONZALEZ (DDG 66)
USS McFAUL (DDG 74)
USS STOUT (DDG 55)
USS THORN (DD 988)
USS NICHOLAS (FFG 47)
USS ALBUQUERQUE (SSN-706)
USS DETROIT (AOE-4)
USS KEARSARGE (LHD 3)
USS PONCE (LPD 15)
- KENNEDY CV -67 Florida, completed a year of overhaul, returned from training 11Nov'03. Pre-deployment exercises Feb21-Mar'04. Deployed to Persian Gulf June'04. On station July'04. Battle Fallujah, early Nov'04. Heads back 20 Nov'04.
USS John F. Kennedy (CV 67)
Carrier Air Wing 17
USS Vicksburg (CG 69)
USS Roosevelt (DDG 80)
USS Spruance (DD 963)
USS Toledo (SSN 769)
USS Seattle (AOE 3)
- NIMITZ CVN-68 Returned to San Diego, 5 Nov03, after
tour in Gulf. 1Mar04 began 6-month maintenance period. 23Aug Sea trials complete.
5Oct re-qualifies, operational. Group sail, 20Nov. Composite training - next
Carrier Strike Group 11.
Nimitz (CVN-68) Carrier Air Wing 11
- EISENHOWER CVN-69 Norfolk. To refuel and overhaul May'01 till Nov'04. Certified sea worthy.
Likely to deploy to Mediterranean in 2005.
CVN-69 Dwight D. Eisenhower last deployment with
Carrier Air Wing 7
CG -68 Anzio
CG -73 Port Royal
FFG-58 Samuel B. Roberts
T-AO 196 Kanawha
T-AE 34 Mount Baker
Amphibious Squadron 8
LHD- 1 Wasp
LSD-51 Oak Hill
- VINSON CVN-70 Returned to Bremerton, WA, 15Sep'03, after 6-month tour. Exercise Apr'04. Completes training Oct'04. Likely overhaul '05-'08.
CVN-70 Carl Vinson with Carrier Air Wing 9.
- ROOSEVELT CVN-71 Returned to Norfolk in May'03 from Mid East. Likely to deploy to Mediterranean in 2005.
Theodore Roosevelt CVN-71
70 aircraft Carrier Air Wing 8
Cape Saint George CG-71
Arleigh Burke DDG-51
Winston Churchill DDG-81
USNS Arctic AOE-8 , fast combat support ship
Submarines (2), fast attack subs
- LINCOLN CVN-72 Returned from extended tour in
combat; to Everett, WA. 6May'03. Deploy west in 19Oct'04.
Carrier Strike Group 9
CVN-71 Abraham Lincoln
Carrier Air Wing Two.
CG-67 USS Shiloh
DDG-65 USS Benfold
DDG-86 USS Shoup
SSN-724 USS Louisville
AOE-7 USS Rainier
- WASHINGTON CVN-73 Norfolk, training in Atlantic, Dec'03, after overhaul. Deploy to Mediterranean 20Jan'04. Flying combat in Persian Gulf April. Return July'04
CVN 73 George Washington
Carrier Air Wing 7
CG-72 Vella Gulf
HMCS Toronoto (FFH-333)
- STENNIS CVN-74 North Island (San Diego). Deploy and exercise to western Pacific May 24, 2004. Pearl July ; Japan Aug ; Malaysia Sept; Australia Oct ; return 1Nov'04.
Carrier Strike Group 7
USS JOHN C. STENNIS (CVN-74)
Carrier Air Wing 14
USS LAKE CHAMPLAIN (CG-57)
USS HOWARD (DDG-83)
USS FORD (FFG-54)
USS SALT LAKE CITY (SSN-716)
USS RAINER (civil crew) (AOE-7)
- TRUMAN CVN-75 Returned to Norfolk from tour in Mediterranean, May'03. Completes exercises, Mediterranean 20June'04. Norfolk 26July'04. Deploy 13Oct'04. Take station Arabian Gulf 20Nov.
Harry S. Truman - CVN-75
Air Wing Three - 80 planes
USS Monterey (CG 61)
USS Barry (DDG 52);
USS Mason (DDG 87)
USS Albuquerque (SSN 706);
USNS Arctic (T-AOE 8) civilian crew *
- REAGAN CVN-76 Commissioned 12July'03.
Reagan is moving to her homeport in San Diego
by circumnavigating South America. arrived 23July'04 ; sea trials Nov 6.
Carier Strike Group 15
Ronald Reagan (CVN-76)
Thomas S. Gates (CG-51)
Benfold (DDG 65)
Mitscher (DDG 57)
Camden (AOE 2)
The first deployment is expected in 2005 to the Western Pacific .
These ships had been with the retired Constellation.
USS Valley Forge CG-50
USS Bunker Hill CG-52
USS Higgins DDG-76
USS Milius DDG-69
USS Thach FFG-43
USS Columbia SSN-771
The fleet is reorganizing for 2004 separating the Battle Fleet into independent
Carrier Strike Groups and Expeditionary Strike Groups. The new ESG has greater
independence of operation and consists of
an Amphibious Ready Group with the addition of a supporting cruiser, destroyers and submarine. Six carrier strike groups can be deployed within 30 days; two more CSG can reinforce or rotate within three months.
Expeditionary Strike Group 1 (ESG-1) approved for operations 8Aug'03. Based in
San Diego, the group was training from Hawaii, returned 3March'04
Germantown (LSD-42) Port Royal (CG-73) Greenville (SSN-772)
Peleliu (LHA-5) Decatur (DDG-73)
Ogden (LPD -5) Jarrett (FFG-33)
Expeditionary Strike Group 2 consisting of East coast and Gulf ships. Deploys 17 Feb.
Trains in Adriatic Sea in March. Arrives Afghanistan. Through Med 21Aug'04. Returns 18Sept.
Wasp (LHD-1) Leyte Gulf (CG-55) Connecticut (SSN-22)
Whidbey (LSD-41) Yorktown (CG-48) decomm
22nd Marine Expeditionary Unit.
Expeditionary Strike Group 3 (ESG-3) Based in San Diego; begins training 25Aug'03.
Deploy to Iraq June'04, arrives July 6. Return 24Oct'04.
Belleau Wood (LHA 3) Mobile Bay (CG 53) Charlotte (SSN 766)
Denver (LPD 9) Preble (DDG 88)
Comstock (LSD 45) Hopper (DDG 70)
Saipan Expeditionary Strike Group (ESG) begins exercises 15Mar'04 from Norfolk.
Warships deployed 20Aug'04. Aphibious ships are on ready status.
Saipan (LHA 2) Hue City (CG 66) Newport News (SSN 750)
Trenton (LPD 14) The Sullivans (DDG 68)
Oak Hill (LSD 51) Underwood (FFG 36)
Essex Expeditionary Strike Group forward deployed at Sasebo, Japan. To Northern Arabian Gulf 15Sept04 as ESG 3
Essex (LHD 2) **
Juneau (LPD 10)
Harpers Ferry (LSD 49)
Fort McHenry (LSD 43) *not to NAG
** -The Essex sickbay is bigger, better equipped and manned than a carrier
Tarawa Amphibious Ready Group - returned from Horn of Africa Fall'03 for 6-mo
maintenence. Sea trials Apr'04.
USS Tarawa LHA-1
USS Duluth LPD-6
USS Rushmore LSD-47
Pearl Harbor (LSD-52)
John Paul Jones (DDG-54)
Expeditionary Strike Group 5 (ESG-5) Based in San Diego;
embarked AV-8B Harriers Aug'04. 16-day exercise Oct. Deployed Dec 7.
Bonhomme Richard (LHD 6) Bunker Hill (CG-52) Pasadena (SSN 752)
Duluth (LPD 6) Milius (DDG 69) Munro (WHEC 724) USCGC
Rushmore (LSD 47) Thach (FFG 43) 15th Marine Expeditionary Unit
Kearsarge Expeditionary Strike Group, KSG ESG - Oct 25, training at sea off east coast
Kearsarge (LHD 3) Normandy (CG 60)
Ashland (LSD 48) Gonzalez (DDG 66)
Ponce (LPD 15) Kauffman (FFG 59)
26th Marine Expeditionary Unit to join next exercise.
Battaan (LHD 5) - Nov 10 returns to fleet from 6-month maintenance.
Military Sealift Command operates more than 110 noncombatant, civilian-crewed ships that replenish Navy ships at sea, chart ocean bottoms, conduct undersea surveillance, strategically pre-position combat cargo at sea around the world, and move 95 percent of military equipment and supplies used by deployed U.S. forces.
* USNS Arctic (T-AOE-8), fast combat support ship, 754 feet, provides food, fuel, supplies and ammunition to a carrier strike group with 160 man civilian crew and 60 sailors.
Return to : WWT menu
Battle Groups - 2003