- Mar 1 . Perth and Houston sunk during raid on Banter Bay
- Mar 1 . 2nd Japanese landing on Java.
- Mar 1 . ABDA naval command disbanded.
- Mar 1 . Exeter, Encounter and Pope sunk S. of Borneo.
- Mar 1 . Pecos and Edsall sunk in Indian Ocean N. of Australia. Edsall attacked by 2 BB, 1CA.
- Ma1-5. Evertsen, Pillsbury, Asheville, Yarra sunk.
- Mar 4 . Enterprise (CV-6,TF 8, Halsey) raids Marcus Island.
- Mar 5 . King-FDR "We cannot in honor let Australia and New Zealand down".
- Mar 6 . Lexington (Fitch) and Yorktown (Fletcher) join up intending to raid Rabaul.
- Mar 8 . Japanese invade New Guinea at Lae and Salamaua.
- Mar 9 . Java surrendered.
- Mar 10. MacArthur ordered to Australia
- Mar 10. Lexington and Yorktown attack Japanese invasion force at New Guinea.
- Mar 11. Enterprise (Halsey) returns to Pearl after Marcus Island raid.
- Mar 11. MacArthur, family, staff depart Corregidor in 4 PT boats at night.
- Mar 12. US Army lands on New Caledonia (French) to establish base at Noumea.
- Mar 12. Fall of Netherlands East Indies.
- Mar 13. Japanese land in Solomon Islands from Rabaul
- Mar 13. MacArthur's PT boats arrive Cagayan, PI.
- Mar 15. MacArthur's party depart in B-17 for Darwin.
- Mar 16. Submarine Permit (SS-178) delivers ammunition to Corregidor, evacuates code breakers.
- Mar 17. United States assumes strategic defense of the Pacific Ocean.
- Mar 17. MacArthur arrives Australia by B-17 during Japanese attack.
- Mar 18. FDR signs Executive Order "Establishing the War Relocation Authority" for enemy aliens.
- Mar 20. South Dakota (BB-57) commissions, enters Pacific in Aug.
- Mar 20. Hornet (CV-8), new carrier, arrives at San Francisco.
Yorktown patrols Coral Sea, Lexington enroute to Pearl from New Guinea raid.
- Mar 21. MacArthur & family arrive Kooringa by train ; discovers no Army waiting.
- Mar 22. MacArthur arrives Melbourne, greeted by 360 American troops.
- Mar 23. Japanese occupy Andaman Islands, Bay of Bengal.
- Mar 23. Submarine Gato (SS-212) bombed by blimp off San Francisco Bay.
- Mar 24. Japanese naval planes begin daily bombings of Corregidor.
- Mar 24. British Far East Fleet assembles at Ceylon : 5 BB, 3 CV, 2 CA, 6 CL, 15 DD, 5 SS.
- Mar 25. Messerschmitt Me-262 twin-jet fighter first flown.
- Mar 25. Adm King diverts forces to establish base at Efate, New Hebrides, leaving Noumea, N.Caledonia, for Army.
- Mar 26. Washington (BB-56), Wasp (CV-7), Wichita (CA-45),
Tuscaloosa (CA-37), and 8 DD, sail from Portland, Maine, to reinforce
the British Home Fleet.
- Mar 26. Japanese fleet departs Celebes for Ceylon: 4 BB, 5 CV, 2 CA, 1 CL, 8 DD, 5 SS
- Mar 26. Lexington arrives Pearl from Coral Sea for dry dock overhaul.
- Mar 27-28. British raiding force attacks port facilities in German-held St. Nazaire, France.
- Mar 28. Another Japanese fleet departs for Bay of Bengal: 4 CA, 1 CVL, 8 DD
- Mar 29. The forward echelon of Marine Fighter Squadron 212 arrived at
Efate to construct an air strip ; initiated operations New Hebrides 27May'42.
- Mar 30. Joint Chiefs divide Pacific Ocean (Nimitz) and SW Pacific
- Mar 30. Japanese forces occupy Christmas Island, Indian Ocean
- Mar 31. Colorado (BB-45) sails from W.Coast, in overhaul since Jun'41.
Java Sea , < Feb April >